Monday 20 May 2013

Woman and the business world

"Being a woman can still be a bit of a taboo in the business world" - I heard this today.

As far as my opinion goes, being a business woman is no different than being a business man.
The thing is, the challenge might be different from the ones they - the guys - have to deal with on daily basis.

I'm not a feminist nor a maniac about genders, I do believe that if someone wants something, it really needs to try hard and be indifferent to the fact that most likely somebody will try to get in the way of your success.

In the past few years I've seen several transformations happening in my life, from having a baby, to changing careers, to being mistreated in a job to finally getting the job that I prayed for. And it was when this happened - when I got this job that I have now, the one that I've been waiting for so long - that I realized that people see things in me that I wasn't being able to see myself.

I found out that I normally make quite some impression on people, because I'm not afraid to show who I am - simple, ambitious, eager to learn - and because I am not afraid to say "I don't know".

I am a firm believer that everything in life can be learned. It may take time, it may take patience, it will certainly take effort. But it can be done.

The same way I learned how to spit fire when I was in my teenage years, despite the fact that I was terrified of getting burnt. The same way I leaned how to use stilts despite the fact that in my head I was constantly picturing people pushing me and making me fall and get hurt.

When a person really wants something, it will find a way. Not everybody finds the correct way all the time, but the important is to keep faithful to your beliefs and values.

My life showed me that if I work hard, I can achieve everything. That if I do things right, if I put my head down and follow the rules, life will lead the way.

So, no. I don't believe that being a woman is still a taboo in the business world. Sure it can make things less easy. But it's up to us to break the stigma and fight for ourselves. Proof who we are. and the rest will just come to us.

Simple, non?

No comments:

Post a Comment