Wednesday 3 April 2013

Waking up

I could barely sleep last night. I kept waking up, anxious, nervous about a phone call that I would get today.

Going back a few weeks:

I got a new job in a reservations center here in Cork.
I was all excited about starting and when I started the training I realized the type of place I was in.

Not bad - work-wise, pretty simple - but other than that, a dictatorship. We're not allowed phones or internet, other that the strictly  required for the job (which means I have several long moments staring at the air in between calls). If we're stuck in a call at the time of our break, we can't go immediately after, we have to ask for permission. I work ALL weekends and the schedule is something that doesn't allow me to have a life at all - I work from 1.30 pm until 10 pm  If you're one minute late, you get discounted, but you're supposed to be logged in and ready at you're exact time of start, which means that I'm giving at least ten minutes of my day for free every day, to open the needed software to perform my job.
Bullshit. That's what it is.
I get home around 10.30 pm if I'm lucky and I get a lift from a colleague or around 10.45 if I have to take the bus. When I get home I'm so exhausted that I don't even wanna eat most of the days and I sleep 'till 10 am, have a shower, eat a biscuit with a cup of tea and go to that same crappy place again.
I see all my co-workers and colleagues from training getting - like me - more and more depressed by the day.
This is no life. Plus, the salary is everything BUT good. In fact, I'm getting less money here that in my previous job, even though the annual salary is higher. How is this possible?!

Anyway, the good thing is, when I stopped looking for a job, the jobs started looking for me. Literally.

So, I was contacted by one of the technical giants in the city (and in the world) that asked me if I was interested in going for an interview. My face got so stretched with a smile that I could barely make up the words to answer.
I went to the first one and then to a second one and today, the final call that made me so anxious last night. A competency call in Spanish, which was - from everything - the easiest thing I had to do. I think it went so well that I am amazed, if we take the fact that I've literally learned Spanish by speaking it in the street.
This brings me to the point that I am waiting to hear they're final decision. Or the job is mine, or not.
I'm boiling.
The offer wound include a thirty thousand euro! salary a year (ten thousand more that I get now), health insurance fully paid by the company, life assurance, subsidized canteen - for real, free for for breakfast and lunch or dinner, and according to my hubby that works in a company the same group it's unbelievably good - free bus transportation from and to the city center, 25 days paid holiday and all the legal requirements covered.
I'm ecstatic. Freaking out. But I'll come back with more details (hopefully good) as soon as I have them.

For now, all I need is to make this simple right?

No comments:

Post a Comment